The Employment Specialist is responsible for supporting the mission of SpArc Services by supporting consumers as they gain and retain independent competitive and community-based employment. The Employment Specialist is responsible for travel-training, teaching, mentoring, and supporting Employment Partners’ consumers to help ensure their success in a competitive employment position. The Employment Specialist provides personally directed training in all the skills necessary for consumers to successfully complete all assigned job tasks.
- Create employment opportunities for assigned consumers. Cultivate relationships with area businesses with the goal of generating employment leads.
- Develop and implement personalized on-the-job-training program for each employed consumer to help him or her learn and perform the requirements of the job including
- Teaching work rules/expectations
- Teaching appropriate social workplace behaviors.
- Teaching how to independently travel to and from work. In the interim transport or escort consumer to job location
- Encourage and motivate the consumer to fully engage in work and make a long term commitment to job. Participate in the development and implementation of job integration/success plan.
- Provide ongoing and immediate feedback, assistance and follow up supporting consumer success in the workplace.
- Work closely with the employment team to present a personalized and holistic approach to job preparation and training.
- Identify workplace challenges and intervention to preserve the integrity of the consumer and to maintain the job.
- Provide follow-up feedback to determine quantity and quality of services provided and status of the consumer’s employment.
- Work closely with employer engaging them as advocates and mediators for consumer. Partner with employer to provide work accommodations as necessary.
- Help to teach appropriate social behavior to the individuals by modeling appropriate social behavior at all times including maintaining good attendance record including punctuality, following work procedures, maintaining appropriate workplace behaviors, dressing appropriately and filling our time sheets accurately and timely.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with partnering companies and agencies while educating employers regarding working with people with barriers to employment. Promote success of the placement by providing advocacy
- Develop and maintain good relationships with families of consumers to support job experience.
- Ensure compliance with contracts with partnering companies and agencies. Submit monthly coaching reports and other documentation as required.
- Attend departmental and agency-wide staff meetings and/or trainings as required.
- Perform additional duties as required/assigned by supervisor.
- High School graduate or GED. Relevant experience with people with disabilities and 3 years prior work experience desirable.
- Clear criminal and child abuse history, medical and drug screen. Valid and insurable driver’s license.
- Must demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills with people from diverse backgrounds. Must be able to effectively engage and provide meaningful ongoing support.
- Able to effectively and persuasively explain and advocate for employment of consumers. Able to partner with employers to support consumer employment.
- Demonstrates flexibility, good judgment and problem solving skills, patience and persistence.
- Demonstrates the organization’s core competencies and solid customer service skills.
- Committed and able to consistently model appropriate workplace behaviors as a teaching tool.
- Must demonstrate the ability to approach others in a tactful, professional manner. Must react well under pressure and treat others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Must accept responsibility for own actions and follow through on commitments.
- Able to adapt to changes in the work environment and change approaches or methods to best fit the situation. Must be able to deal with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
- Must be available to maintain a flexible work schedule and be “on-call” weekends and/or evenings.
Physical Environment/Working Conditions
Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel independently to employment sites and adjust to the work environment of the consumer’s job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Please NO PHONE CALLS