The Staff Accountant is responsible for supporting the mission of SpArc Philadelphia by assisting with the recording of units and performing various duties within the accounting department, as designated by the Controller, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, regulatory/funder requirements and nonprofit management best practices.
Month End Close Responsibilities
1. Maintain monthly Bank Reconciliations for checking accounts and money market accounts and record all necessary journal entries for all bank transactions
(including charges and fees).
2. Record bi-weekly payroll journal entries and monthly payroll accrual entries.
3. Maintain monthly fixed asset reconciliation and record necessary journal entries.
4. Maintain monthly investment reconciliations and record necessary journal entries.
5. Reconcile monthly credit card transactions and record necessary journal entries.
6. Reconcile intercompany transfers and record necessary journal entries.
7. Maintain grant expense activity and submit monthly invoices and quarterly and yearly reports. Record monthly invoices into accounts payable module.
Record any necessary journal entries.
8. Review monthly Unique Source contract billing for photo license technicians and janitorial staff and submit invoices using ProcessEx.
9. Monthly Account Payable invoicing
10. Monthly Accounts Receivables invoicing
11. Maintain monthly balance sheet, AP, and AR reconciliations.
1. Audit participant timesheets against SET-Works entries and communicate exceptions to department directors and executive team on weekly basis.
2. Create weekly participant timesheets for billing.
3. Liaison between the accounting department and the direct support SetWorks system users.
4. Handles confidential information in appropriate manner.
5. Immediately reports any discrepancies or suspicion of illegalities including any financial irregularities to Controller, COO, and CEO.
6. Participates in regular meetings with management to ensure that priorities are clear, coordination is certain, and communication remains open.
1. Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in accounting.
2. Clear criminal and child abuse history, medical/drug screen and credit check.
3. Knowledge of general accounting practices.
4. Strong computer skills in all Microsoft office applications, especially Excel (spreadsheets).
5. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
6. Requires self-direction, independence, good time management, organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to prioritize.
7. Ability to multi-task and be in control of numerous tasks at any time.
8. Demonstrates the organization's core competencies and solid customer service skills.
9. Ability to translate regulations into practice. Knows the importance of effective record keeping.
10. Effectively problem solve with the ability to proactively address issues preventing escalation.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resumé to HR@sparcphilly.org, using "Staff Accountant" as the subject line.
Please NO PHONE CALLS.